I saw this completed over on Adventures Between Pages blog and just had to snatch it up for myself because it looked so fun. There are no set rules and I’m going to be straight up note that I won’t be tagging anyone to do this because I’ve got so many posts to catch up on. If you don’t want to do this though, consider yourself tagged.
Sorry if I pick out books or authors you love. Just because they aren’t for me, doesn’t mean they are horrible choices for other people to enjoy.
1. A popular book or series that you didn’t like?
If I Stay by Gayle Forman. No. This tried to pull at my emotional triggers but I found the characters to be too annoying to make me feel anything for Mia and her shitty situation.
2. A popular book or series that everyone else seemed to hate but you loved?
Everyone seemed to love those Anna and the French Kissed books but I could only make it through Lola and the Boy Next Door. I attempted all of the others and basically fell flat on my face.
3. A love triangle where the main character ended up with the person you did not want them to end up with or an OTP that you didn’t like?
How interesting, I’m drawing a major blank. I don’t think I have one which is surprising given how many cringe worthy books full of romance I’ve read over the years.
4. A popular book genre that you hardly reach for?
Historical fiction. I just can’t. There are so many books that people rave about in this genre that have the most beautiful covers but I know as soon as I pick it up I will be bored to death. It takes an exceptional writer to keep me hooked on these type of stories.
5. A popular or beloved character you don’t like?
I’m going to say it guys, I did not like Peeta from The Hunger Games. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy with the way his story wrapped up, but I didn’t care for him at all. Would still give Josh Hutcherson a nudge though if he was older.
6. A popular author that you can’t stand?
Rick Yancey. I’ve tried on many occasions to get into the 5th Wave series but I just find his writing bland.
7. A popular book trope you are tired of seeing? (Ex: lost princess, corrupt ruler…)
The prophecy. I don’t know if I’m tired of seeing it or if the last few I’ve read haven’t lived up to the hype, but I’m not sure if I can handle another cliched cliffhanger where the person who is supposed to fulfill a prophecy is caught in a bind. Can’t someone else just do it.
8. A popular series that you have no interest in reading?
The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. I actually did buy a few of the books on the cheap to begin reading them and then I actually opened the first book…I’m just going to say that I unhauled them all pretty quickly.
9. The saying goes, “the book is always better than the movie”, but what movie or tv show adaptation do you prefer more than the book?
The 5th Wave. I really enjoyed this movie and would choose it over the book every time.
So, what is a book you disliked but everyone else loved?