I know you all sit around refreshing my blog waiting for my TBR to pop up because it is the highlight of your month (lol) but I’ve decided I’m not going to be doing them anymore. At least not for a little while.
I started putting my TBRs together to help me keep track of all the books I wanted to read in a given month. It was supposed to be useful and at first I was pretty carefree with them, but over the last two months I’ve found them more stressful than anything else.
I’ve been quite sick with the flu this month and my reading has taken a massive hit but instead of just being happy with what I have read, I’ve been fretting about how much time is left in the month and how many books I have left to complete my September TBR. This is not healthy for me or for my love of reading.
Why I’m letting go:
- Mood – Sometimes at the end of the month when I pick my books I am in a particular mood so my choices reflect that. Then I might catch a romance movie and realise I only want to read love stories but there are none on my TBR or something gets released that everyone is losing their shit over and I get fomo so have to pick it up. So many things happen in a month that end up in me ditching part of my TBR.
- Guilt – I’m tired of making myself feel guilty for not completely my TBR month after month. What is so bad about just reading what you want to read when you want to read it? Nothing, that’s what.
- Time – Seriously, like WTF?! Where has 2016 gone to? The months just keep getting away from me and there are just too many books I want to devour but it seems like no time to do so.
- Life – I work full time and have busy weekends and sometimes I just don’t get a second to sit down and read. This bitch is tired by time I get home so reading just isn’t an option at night. I miss my uni days when I had so much spare time to just read. Sigh.
- No! – Sometimes the books I pick are great and sometimes they just straight up suck. There is nothing worse than falling in to a reading slump after a bad book when you are so dedicated to your TBR.
So there are definitely some pros to having a TBR but lately I’ve just been finding a lot of negatives. I’ll still do a mini monthly wrap up because they are handy refreshers for me but I’m excited to remove that unnecessary pressure from my life.
I’d love to know what your thoughts are on TBRs. Do you find them useful?