Favorite Science Fiction & Fantasy Books *BooktubeSFF Awards Crossover Topic!*
–In collaboration with the BooktubeSFF Awards, talk about your favorite science fiction and fantasy books of all time!
I love a good fantasy book. Something that takes you out of your mind and puts you in a far fetched world. I’ve read some stellar sci-fi and fantasy books over the years but the below five jumped straight to mind when I saw this week’s topic.
Click on the book titles to check out my full review. Warning, may contain spoilers!
- Obsidian – Jennifer L Armentrout’s writing style is so addictive! Once I made a proper start on this I didn’t want to put it down. The tone of the book is so fantastic and the characters are incredibly captivating – I know I’m not the only one who has a crush on Daemon 🙂 I love that Katy is witty and book obsessed. Her interaction with all the other characters is great and despite the premise, the development of the plot didn’t feel rushed or overarching to me. No real insta-love which is an added bonus.
- City of Heavenly Fire – This book clearly shows the evolution of Cassandra Clare’s writing. Okay, so from the time I started reading this on the train to when I got to work, I was only 100 pages in…and so much had already happened! Basically I don’t understand why people were mad that this series continued on because it was epic.
- The Martian – As I was listening to this, I felt an overwhelming need to take a survivalist course for the slim chance I get stranded somewhere on Earth, let alone Mars! My skill levels are zilch and I certainly would have nervously eaten all my food…I definitely would be dead in a week. But enough about me. I highly recommend this book as a whole but I would definitely lean more towards the audiobook if you don’t mind it taking a little longer to get through.
- A Court of Mist and Fury – What I adore about Maas is that from the very first sentence in any of her books, you find yourself in awe of how so few words can make your imagination explode in the most vivid ways; this was no different. I was thoroughly captivated from start to end and there wasn’t any moment in between where I found myself skimming to get to the next chapter. I was like an addict desperately needing another fix of this wholly divine world.
- A Gathering of Shadows – I have a love/hate relationship with cliffhanger endings – as I’m sure everyone does – but this one hit me right where it hurts because I need to know what the fuck is going on! Everything went nuts in the last 10% of the book and I just know that the third (once I finish it) is going to be a magic filled adventure of epic proportions! Life has been in the way of me devouring book three but I can tell you already, it is amazing!
What is your favourite book in these genres?