Books You Felt Betrayed By
–Beware the Ides of March! What books (or characters) did you feel betrayed by, for whatever reason…big or small.
I really struggled with this weeks topic because even when I DNF a book, I still don’t consider them to be a disappointment. I don’t know why. Maybe its like when your parents say they are disappointed in you…it just hurts too much. Nonetheless I’ve racked my brain and come up with the below books.
- The Girl On The Train by Paula Hawkins
- The problem that I have with this book isn’t that it couldn’t hold my attention because at the end of the day, it could. I couldn’t wait to pick it up in the morning and I couldn’t wait for work to finish so I could read it on the train home. My real issue is that every fucking character in this book is the worst and I felt no emotional attachment to any of them.
- If I Stay by Gayle Forman
- Don’t get me wrong, the book as a whole isn’t awful and I definitely see why so many people loved it, but for a story with such an unusual narrative, I think you need to make sure your main character is emotionally strong enough to take the reader on a journey. I don’t know what it is about Gayle Forman’s writing but I find her books to be a little contrived and boring.
- Champion by Marie Lu
- Three is not always a charm. I was not a fan of the way this book ended at all and from memory I ended up skipping to the end because I thought the first half was so boring. This had little to do with the writing itself and everything to do with the mismatched plot and the boring character arcs. Nothing wrong with a duology yo.
- The Death Cure by James Dashner
- I’ve spoken before about how I felt this series should’ve been a duology. I loved the first two books and was really excited to dive into this but, even though it is written well, it felt to me like Dashner ran out of plot half way through and started throwing whatever he could at the characters to make it long enough. Not a fan at all.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
- Controversial, I know. I have tried many times to read and enjoy this as much as other people seem to but I can’t get over the pretentious writing and the boring characters.
So, there is yet another list. Let me know in the comments which books or characters you felt let down by.